Skip to main content

Dirty Dozen Donation Derby: Stone Capped Containers

At Coronation, Konstantia sponsored a dirty dozen largesse competition. For my entry, I made a dozen small metal containers with cabochons on the lids.

Construction

The process began with cutting out a lot of rectangles out of sheet metal. They were then formed into ovals over a bracelet mandrel and bound with wire to hold the seam in place during soldering. When making any kind of circle like this, if you form the oval so the ends overlap then pull them back to form the seam, the ends of the metal will push against each other as they try to spring back into place and help you get a nice seam. The binding wire adds extra insurance that nothing springs out of place as the metal expands when it is heated.
After soldering, the cylinders are rounded back out over a round forming mandrel using a non-metal hammer (rawhide, rubber, nylon, delrin, and the like). Using a softer hammer like this ensures you don't leave marks on the metal.
Once the pieces were all rounded, they got cut about 2/3rds of the way up to form the lid and body of the container. Doing it from the same piece like this helps ensure the lid fits correctly and is not slightly too big or small.
At this point, the pieces get the tops and bottoms soldered on. I soldered squares on, trimmed the overlap with metal snips, then filed the edges flush. In theory, if you had a circle cutter the same diameter as your container, you could punch out the rounds and solder them directly. But I don't.
From here, the bottoms need flanges soldered in to hold the cap in place and the tops need bezels to hold the cabochons. The flange is just a thin, flat wire around the inside that forms a friction fit with the lid.
I skipped taking pictures of the bezels, since it is an annoying process trying to solder exactly on the edges of the caps. Needless to say, it got done, as well as some other lapidary work. To finish them off, the containers were all given a pass with a brass brush and pumice powder to create a satin finish. Four of the copper containers also got treated with liver of sulfur to darken them, making for four nickel silver containers, four bright copper, and four dark copper.

The stones used in the settings were hematite, rainforest jasper, tiger's eye, obsidian, lapis lazuli, petrified wood, and amythest, not in any particular order.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fox Masquerade Mask

I've had the idea of making a metal fox mask for a few years now, but haven't really had a reason to do it until this year. Work decided our holiday party would be a murder mystery masquerade, which makes a great excuse.

The basis for the mask was Wintercroft's Fox Half Mask. The half mask is perfect for the masquerade use, and I thought the papercraft/low poly look would translate well to the metal.
I took the mask template and glued it to 22 gauge copper sheet with spray adhesive.
Then after about an hour of work with a jeweler's saw... I had the pieces, somewhat resembling a fox mask, but mostly a Batman logo.
The paper templates were attached to the other side, so I could use the dotted lines for initial bends. These were mostly done on the corner of an anvil or over a piece of 1"x4" clamped in a bench vice. A rubber mallet was used instead of a metal hammer, since the rubber won't leave indentions in the surface where the hammer strikes.
After the i…

Making Metal Purple: Enamel and Patinas

One problem I ran into with my award medallion project is how to make metal purple. Because Calontir likes purple. A lot. After digging around, I came up with four possible plans:
EnamelPatinaDye-oxideDyed epoxy Enamel This was my first choice, as it both looks pretty and fits into the time period of the SCA. After some modifications to my soldering station and a promising test on scrap copper, I took one of my newly cast Golden Swan medallions and went to work.

A layer of enamel was applied and things looked good. The medallion was set aside to cool. While I was cleaning up other parts of the shop, I started hearing a faint little "Ting! Ting!" coming from the soldering tray. All of the beautiful enamel was popping off! Which lead to the first lesson from this project: coefficient of thermal expansion.
Most of the enamels you see for sale are "medium temperature medium expansion". These are designed with copper, gold, and silver in mind. Since the brass I was tryi…

Konstantia's Coronet

At Fall Crown Tourney, Konstantia was made a baron of TRM Damien and Issabell's court. I had the pleasure of making her coronet. I also managed to not spend the last three months with my fingers steepled while cackling maniacally.
Design There was a moment of worry at the start of this because I said I would be interested in doing a coronet before I knew who it was for. When I heard it was for Konstantia, I knew that meant Byzantine. Which means bling. Lots of bling. I had actually made a comment to Jakob before about Byzantine style looking like a pain to make because of the amount of bling. But, it was a good challenge.
My initial research into styling for a Byzantine coronet turned up two basic design concepts I worked off of (citation needed, since it appears I didn't save these sources): Stones were more important than the gold. The Byzantine empire was full of gold mines, while precious stones were imported. So, the focus was on the stonework while the metal itself was m…